Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Another Mullane Mystery -- Thomas M. Mullane

In Answering and Reviewing Questions, Part 2, I mentioned I had recently discovered a death notice for Thomas Michael Mullane, one of my great-grandmother Mary Mullane Murray's younger brothers. The surprising bit of information that I discovered from that was that Thomas was married to a woman named Jennie. I set off to find out more about Jennie and what might have happened to her, and the first thing I turned up was a census record from 1900. Thomas and Jennie were living on Sixth Street in San Francisco with their one month old son, Thomas, Jr. and had been married for a year. That was even more surprising news! There was no mention of a child in Thomas's death notice in 1910, so was he left out or had he also died?

I then went to check the 1910 census and discovered it was taken in April -- a month after Thomas died. That meant looking for Jennie as a widow with a nearly 10 year old son.  Neither turned up. I checked the city directories and the death notice for an address and turned up 111 or 111 1/2 Germania Street. With that information I could identify the enumeration district for the 1910 census and search the images directly. I found 111 Germania, but not Jennie and Thomas, Jr. Looking at some of the other records on the page, I suspect 111 1/2 was missed as there are records for 109 1/2 and 107A. It's also possible that Jennie and her son have gone to live with her family, but as yet I don't know Jennie's maiden name to look for her there.

So, I tried to see if I could find a record of Jennie and Thomas's marriage in 1899. My best bet for that would be newspapers (and I am eternally grateful that both the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Francisco Call are available on line for these kinds of searches!)  Off to newspapers.com to run my search and I get a couple of hits on Thomas M. Mullane in June 1899 -- fantastic! Well, not so fast.

I took a look at the articles and they aren't a marriage notice, but brief articles on the theft of some shoes! A shop owner named H.C. Lucke reported an on-going theft of shoes from his shop. The name looked familiar to me, so I went back to my records and saw that Thomas Mullane was listed as working for Mr. Lucke in the 1896-1898 city directories!

The article that appears in the Call says that Thomas Mullane (spelled Mulane), age 23, had worked for Mr. Lucke for seven years. It seems Thomas and one of his co-workers had been stealing "only the most expensive makes" of shoes that cost "from $7 and upward" over a period of two months and giving or selling them to friends and acquaintances. When they were arrested, the police found "a dozen fine pair of patent leather shoes" and both men promptly confessed. Thomas's partner in crime, a Charles Rochette, had worked for Mr. Lucke for about three months and had been hired "as an act of charity."

For such a brief article, it contained a lot of information. For example, Mr. Rochette was married "to an estimable young woman" and resided at 217 Eighth Street. For my purpose, however, the line for Thomas was more promising as he was "unmarried" per this article.  So as of June 9, 1899, Thomas is not married. His son, Thomas, Jr. was born on May 10, 1900. That gives me a window to search for a marriage notice for Thomas and Jennie. Nothing has turned up on my searches, so I'm going to have to look at the papers manually.  I'm also going to need to follow up on the arrest of Thomas Mullane to see if there's any notice of punishment. The articles I found just say he was booked into the city prison for petty larceny, so I'm not sure how much time, if any, he would be in jail.

I'm also puzzled about why I haven't been able to turn up anything on Thomas, Jr. after 1900. He isn't mentioned in the death notice for his father, and I can't find any record at all beyond his birth notice. It's possible he died before his father, but I haven't turned him up in the California Death Indexes. The death indexes don't begin until 1905, so if he died as a young child he wouldn't be there, but I'm also not finding a burial record at Holy Cross. While it's possible that if he did die between 1900-1905 that he wasn't buried at Holy Cross, that seems a little unusual. His father is buried there in the family plot, so it would make sense if he were buried there too. Another possibility is that his mother Jennie remarried and her new husband adopted Thomas Jr. thus giving him a different last name.

It's going to take some digging and slogging through pages of newspapers and city directories to see if I can turn anything up on Thomas, Jennie, and Thomas Jr. Fortunately, I can do most of that research on line so I won't have to wait to gain access to the records I'm looking for. It will probably take some time though, particularly going through the newspapers as it's easy to miss things if you don't pay attention. Hopefully I'll be able to work out this puzzle and find out what happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment